Skip to main content

Access to legal help

We do not provide immigration legal advice. We signpost and assist in obtaining an immigration lawyer for those seeking asylum, refugees seeking leave to remain permanently in the UK, and those seeking UK citizenship.
We have small grants available to assist with legal fees and travel costs.

The lawyers we use are in other cities in the region. We can provide advocates to accompany people on their visit to a lawyer and support them in their application and follow up time.

Moving from asylum support to refugee status

The timescale is short for a person to move from asylum support payments to Universal credits, so early advice is important. Contact us for assistance. An advocate will help access the right person to guide refugees through this process. A similar service is provided for refugees with benefits or housing issues.